Headers

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hustle and Bustle



1. Who: Rachel-Lea Rickards Occupation: Playwright-Actor-Producer-Musical Theatre Nerd

2. What is your Obsidian connection?
I was honoured to be selected to be a part of Obsidians Playwright unit.

3. Where have you been?
The past couple of years, I have spent a lot of time zoning in on what feeds me the most. While spending many years on stage as an actor, I recognize the exhilaration I feel to write stories for others to tell. Most recently, I just completed writing for second season of da Kink in my Hair for Global Television. Since working with the Playwrights Unit and developing a 20 minute piece called "Bridge Over Joan", I have been working with a musical director to create 13 songs for the production. My plan is to mount Bridge Over Joan in early 2010.

4. When will we see you next?
Look for me in different spaces. I feel a strong pull to move into co-directing and self producing my first musical. I am also currently launching the "Broadway Bound March Break Program for children 8-13 years of age that runs from March 16-20. I think I always knew I wanted to be involved in theatre, from my earliest childhood memories. I wanted and needed mentors. I want to create space for children who need that outlet. My plan is to move The Broadway Bound program into a full school in summer of 09.

5. Why art?
Because it keeps me alive and gives me purpose. Because I couldn't stop doing it even if I wanted to. Art and performing is my addiction and I'm not looking for a way to clean up this act!

6. How’s the city treating you?
I recently moved into the city. Moving from Brampton to the heart of downtown sometimes makes me feel like a little church mouse in big city. Traded in my car for a bus pass and I still carry around the subway map with me wherever I go. But, I wake up to the sound of street cars, and hustle and bustle, and there's something exciting in the air that calls me to create.

7. Complete the sentence:
2009 is the year to walk through fear. It is a year of taking a deep breath and jumping right in.

8. What is your favourite “O” word?
Dare I not say Obsidian? LOL! But if I had to choose another magical word,
I think it would be OPPORTUNITY. I try to see opportunity wherever possible, even through OBSTACLES.

No comments: