Headers

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sigh

and again sigh. It is so hard to try and put together a season. Even if that season is only a couple of shows. In fact the smaller the season the harder it is since more weight is placed on the shows you have.
My staff made me take a couple of days off this week to work on next years season so off I trundled to Theatrebooks where the guy at the counter asked me "Is there anything that I can help you with?"
Where upon I replied :"You could help me plan next years season". And so it turned out to be quite a lovely excursion with fellow shoppers chiming in to make suggestions.
I looked at a lot of plays and then I found one that I thought would be a great match, a quirky match, a match that no one would ever think of when thinking of Obsidian. I bought the script and devoured it. I talked to a director for whom I thought this play would be perfect. I finagled the budget in my head. I called Samuel French the next day to get the rights and .....sigh...someone else had called a couple of days earlier and and had dibs on it.
I am crushed. Not only crushed but ......well maybe I should leave it there.

All I can say is that if you are the person who has dibs on a Sarah Ruhl play or you know who that person is please give me a call and lets see if we can work something out.

I am so, as they say in Facebook, sigh.

No comments: