Headers

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Free and Read

I had never heard of the Free Night of Theatre Promotion before and so was quite intrigued by the possiblities. I wonder if we could get something like that going here. I daresay the bigs would avoid it like the plague but it might be a very cool thing for the independents. Maybe we should start this conversation.

And from the Guardian a bit of a rant about playwrights reading their own work. On one hand I did hear a record of June Jordan reading her poem The Talking Back of Miss Valentine Jones: Poem # one. Now she does not have the best of reading voices but her reading blew me away. That poem became one of my favourites and is still one that resonates. I wanted to do a play using her poetry and it kind of slipped by the way side as politics changed the landscape. Poem about my Rights is a great illustration of that.

Anyway...playwrights reading their own work. I can't think of any. Can you?

2 comments:

MK Piatkowski said...

Funny, I just ran across the Free Night of Theatre today myself. I totally think we should try it.

As for playwrights reading their own work, I've heard Jason Sherman and Morris Paynch read - both at Tarragon. Can't think of anyone else.

Obsidian Theatre said...

We should pick a night when Obsidian is producing....or not. I can't decide whether we can afford the box office loss or not. But probably it would be a great loss leader if it was an outstanding show